Application Security: The Easy Way
Application Security: The Easy Way
When adding security into their applications, developers must typically choose between capabilities offered by the languages they’re writing in, or by leveraging an available library. These options aren’t comprehensive, and they introduce additional constraints, making the ongoing management of application security difficult. When the business demands new features within increasingly shorter release timelines, efforts to maintain security are often moved to the next release, the next maintenance window, or simply pushed to the bottom of the backlog.
The cost is high to custom build or retrofit existing applications to use modern security controls. Security experts skilled in both older technology stacks and newly-adopted technologies are scarce, if the two technologies are even compatible at all. In siloed environments, where different teams develop and manage different applications — or even aspects of a single application — the ongoing operational costs to manage security continue to grow.
Compounding this is the fact that enterprises are generating exponential streams of data: big data, unstructured data, data from the “internet of things” (IoT), and data from countless third-party systems. Companies create and procure applications which create, process, and consume these streams of data. Building consistent security, access control, and entitlement policies in each application—written in different languages and often by different teams—has become a monumental task, especially in a changing regulatory environment.
Despite these challenges (or perhaps because of them), 76% of IT expenditure is spent on securing internal applications, and application data security is listed as the number one top IT priority.1 The call to action is clear—build security into everything that you do, from the ground up. But can application developers overcome the challenges listed to execute on this mandate?
It’s extremely challenging at best — unless the developers have begun calling out to Ionic’s Data Trust Platform.
Today, easy application security is possible.
The Ionic Data Trust Platform is the first truly data-centric security platform that enables your organization to easily build a reliable and extensible security framework, starting with your most costly and highest vulnerability investments: your applications. With the power of the Platform, developers can seamlessly implement controls, tracking, and encryption around application data.
- Adding simple SDK calls to protect data;
- Uniformly enforcing contextual data security policies no matter the data store/repository;
- Creating granular policies based on user, device, time, network, location and ultimately, the data itself;
- Incorporating central global compliance requirements into just-in-time policies that consider the identity of the user, attributes of the data, and the context of the request itself before releasing a key;
- Maintaining complete control of protection keys via owned, managed, or hosted key servers, or any hybrid combination thereof;
- Leveraging Ionic’s extensible and autonomous management of trillions of keys to meet the exponentially growing streams of data;
- Complying with industry regulations through audit-ready results: high-fidelity and high confidence behavior tracking, reporting, and analytics.
As a developer, the steps for getting started with the Ionic Data Trust Platform are even fewer. The Ionic Developer tutorials will take you from zero to “Hello World” in minutes. Learn the basics of the Ionic SDK, create profiles and agents, fetch keys, and encrypt data within your application without needing to become a cryptography expert. Add security to your applications, the easy way.